The app BeReal has spiked dramatically in popularity this summer, making it the number one app on the Apple App Store. But what is it and how does it work?
⚠️ Time to BeReal. ⚠️
The app notifies users daily to share a snapshot of what they are doing during a random two-minute window.
This gives unedited and unfiltered glimpses into users’ lives in real-time. In an era where nearly anyone can create and share a manipulated image, this concept is extremely disruptive.
What’s all the buzz about?
The new BeReal app encourages authenticity in an era of filters and Facetune.
Instead of feeling the pressure to portray picture-perfect lives, BeReal forces users to do just what it’s named: be real.
Its tagline, “Not another social network,” pushes the status quo of social media. It forces a shift from aesthetic to realistic.
What makes it different from other platforms? It’s main feature was the first of its kind, allowing users to capture footage with their device’s front and back-facing cameras simultaneously.
- The special BeReal camera is designed to take both a selfie and a frontal photo simultaneously.
- Share your BeReal publicly and discover what other people are doing around you.
- Some days, the BeReal comes with a unique challenge.
- Comment on your friend’s BeReal and chat with all their friends.
- React on your friend’s BeReal with a RealMoji, your own emojis representation.
- See where your friends are in the world when they post their BeReal.
- Access your previous BeReal in an archive.
- See your friends right on your Home Screen when they react to your BeReal with a widget.
iMESSAGE REALMOJIS STICKERS
- React with your RealMojis as stickers in your iMessage chats.
BeReal comes with some warnings!
/!\ WARNING /!\
- BeReal won’t make you waste time.
- BeReal is life, Real life, and this life is without filters.
- BeReal will challenge your creativity.
- BeReal is your chance to show your friends who you really are, for once.
- BeReal can be addictive.
- BeReal might frustrate you.
- BeReal won’t make you famous. If you want to become an influencer you can stay on TikTok and Instagram.
- BeReal doesn’t care if you have millions of followers or if you’re verified.
- BeReal may cause accidents, especially if you are riding bikes.
- BeReal is pronounced “BiRil”, not bereale, or Bèreol, it’s like B-Real from Cypress Hill.
- BeReal won’t let you cheat, you can try and if you manage to do so, come work with us.
Most of these warnings are comedic satire because this platform is said to promote a healthier lifestyle than other social media platforms.
BeReal Helps Mental Health
“I feel like there is no pressure to look your best all the time, and also, it keeps me from envying other people’s lives. Sometimes I feel on Instagram it can seem like people have such amazing lives, and they always seem to be doing fun things, but then I see BeReal and I’m like “oh they are laying in bed just like me,” and I feel less bad about having days when I’m not doing much,” says users Aubry Norris.
BeReal is a real break from the highly produced and commercial photography often found on Instagram.
Instead of liking and scrolling through a never-ending feed, you are asked to respond to your friend’s post with an image of yourself. There’s not even a like or view count shown.
The app forces authenticity and even calls you out when you are not being your most genuine self by revealing how many retakes you took or if you posted late.
“With great social media reach comes great social pressure, and BeReal takes all of that out of the equation. The question will be, how will BeReal keep it real as the app evolves and faces pressure of a growing platform and business?
In the meantime, this is the ultimate time for brands to jump in and find ways to anticipate those BeReal 2-minute windows to create authentic and added value for brands. It just so happens that the best way to do that on BeReal is with the very real people and creators that are on the app.”
– Alexandra Mathieu, Head of Strategy
How Brands BeReal
Now is the ultimate time for brands to tap into the app’s power as more and more people crave authenticity and simplicity in an overly curated world.
Since the app is all about being Anti-Instagram, users aren’t going to be as receptive to brands posting ads. Participating on the app will require being more clever with creators.
Open Influence’s Creative Director Sierra Moore said that brands’ attitudes toward BeReal are similar to their initial approach to TikTok: hesitant and wary, then urgent and necessary.
“I feel like it could be a similar evolution [on BeReal],” she said. “We’re definitely open and hoping that we can find a brand to partner with to try it out.”
Look at how these top brands have used BeReal.
The codes were redeemed in less than a minute after posting
it’s time to ⚠️BeReal⚠️ pic.twitter.com/59o2RITFiC
— pacsun (@PacSun) July 20, 2022
The first 150 users who friended e.l.f’s channel were given codes for a free product.
Trident X Sour Patch Kids
made gum together might as well BeReal together pic.twitter.com/l3nZ4UfZLn
— trident gum (@tridentgum) July 18, 2022
Want to tap into BeReal, but don’t know how?